Reagan Review

Silver Knights

J. Rached, Manager

The Ronald Reagan High Silver Knight Nominees have been selected. The prestigious scholarship competition “Silver Knights”, which awards students in a variety of fields from Sciences to Foreign Languages, takes place every year, nominating the students who present the most outstanding projects in their specific areas. This year, 12 students were nominated to represent the school in the competition. Diego Mansilla, the only male nominee, expressed his excitement.  

“I feel good! I feel proud! Even more ‘cause I am the only man,” Mansilla stated.  

Last year, The Miami Herald, which sponsors the awards, recognized 30 winners. This year, the winners from the twelve categories will be announced, marking the 60th Silver Knight Ceremony to date. Each student is awarded for their own individual category. World Languages, Art, Athletics, Business, Drama, English and Literature, General Scholarship, Mathematics, Science, and Speech are a few of the categories that the students compete for.  

“I have been nominated for World Languages. I have been helping in the Florida Immigrant Coalition and I am currently the President of The National Hispanic Honor Society,” said Mansilla. 

The Silver Knight Awards Ceremony will take place at the James L. Knight Centre, Thursday, May 17, 2018; however, there is more for The Ronald Regan High’s Knights to do before the event. They must perfect their projects, prepare their speeches, and submit a lot of paperwork before the ceremony. Furthermore, the nominees must be interviewed and considered by a panel of judges before they move on to the awards. Mr. Porras, who was in charge of preparing the students, unfortunately left the school not long ago. Even still, the nominees seem more than ready to tackle the event.

“It is fantastic to be representing the school; however, it would be great if I at least won an Honorable Mention,” said Mansilla as he was asked whether he wished to win.  

There are still a couple of months before the ceremony. Let’s wish our nominees the best.