A  student run online multimedia website.

Reagan Review

The College Experience in Just a Couple of Days

Students from all over the country apply to the University of Florida; in order to be sure about which college they want to attend, they visit campuses and experience what studying in each one would be like.

Valentina Baptiste, Reporter

As the school year comes to an end and the 11th graders all over the country are faced with the upcoming process of having to apply to colleges and decide what their futures will be defined as, many of them decide to visit some of the universities they want to see themselves attending.

As many people know, the rigorous process of applying to college can be somewhat exhausting and the different choices that are presented to every student can make it confusing. Apart from this, students have to focus on their last year of high school, take standardized tests, and try to incorporate themselves in as many extracurricular activities as they can. This is why the different universities and colleges try to step in and make the decision-making task an easier one.

Whether it is going to the campus by him or herself, or getting the assistance from a tour guide, this experience helps many students. In addition to that, some of the college students that are currently attending those universities are an extremely useful source of information and can always help as well. Daniela Esteves, former Ronald Reagan Doral Senior High student and current freshman at the University of Florida, says, “It feels like a community; I feel like I can walk around campus and not feel like I’m out of place or something. Everybody understands it, everyone is different, and people are very accepting here.”

What every student wants is to feel like he or she belongs, and the best way to accomplish this is by gaining the independence that the college life requires. “Becoming independent, I don’t always have to check in on my mom with everything that I do, if I want to go out and eat with my friends I just go, or if I want to go to the gym, or if I’m in the library until late,” says Esteves.

Some of these minimal characteristics are what make college more and more appealing, and being able to talk to students and teachers that reside on campus and experience that independence through them gives high school students the ability to finally decide which university out of their top choices they wish to attend.

Even if it is just a short one, always consider the benefits that visiting schools can provide; be open to different opinions and never discredit what others say.